|Beach erosion is common
in the Maldives
The organisation is made up of concerned individuals who wish to ensure that the natural environment is used wisely and continues to be available for the benefit and enjoyment of future generations. Bluepeace is the oldest environmental Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) in the Maldives.
Bluepeace was initiated by a young group of volunteers during the late eighties and was formally registered on 11th September 1989. The initial aim was at diverting some energy in conserving the delicate environment which is being misused and exploited on an unsustainable manner due to lack of awareness, knowledge and understanding. Since then the organisation has been instrumental in creating environmental awareness through its many campaigns and activities.
Bluepeace is strictly a Non-Governmental Organisation and not-for-profit organisation. The organisation is not sponsored by any particular party or individual but depends on time given freely, voluntary effort, on subscriptions, donations and fund raising.
- to protect the environment through environmental education and training.
- to increase awareness, understanding and knowledge among people of the Maldives about global environment
- to carry out research, build environmental monitoring and management skills.
- to initiate and carry out activities and projects at different levels in the Maldives for the protection of our delicate environment.
- to collaborate with all stakeholders who are interested in protecting the global environment.
- and all those little things that we could do together to save our environment for the future generations.
- Bluepeace is the most influential environmental campaigning organisation in the Maldives.
- Oldest environmental NGO in the country.
- Consists of largest active voluntary member base in the Maldives.
- Works with local communities to deliver and carry out environmental awareness campaigns and projects.
- Dependents on concerned individuals for its campaigns and income.
- Bluepeace is strictly a Non-Governmental Organisation and not-for-profit organisation.
- Compiled and published the first comprehensive local environmental book.